CAMBRIDGE COHOUSING in Cambridge MA
From: Rowena Conkling (rowenacworldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 1996 15:11:48 -0500
Well, here we are after six months of frantic activity, about to close on
our site and submit our application for a Special Permit to the Cambridge
Planning Board!  If all goes well, we'll break ground this fall and move in
early next summer.  As the plans develop, we're really beginnning to believe.

In accordance with our vision statement, our sunny site is in Cambridge,
within ten minutes' walk from public transportation and shopping.  We are
near the Peabody and Kennedy Public Schools as well as the Friends and
Montessori Schools and we look out over adjacent playing fields, a park and
public tennis courts. Freshpond Reservoir is only minutes away, as is the
linear bikepath out to Concord.  We plan to have several common meals a week
and members are already making plans for everything from a book-club, to a
poker-night, to live music in the rec room!

We have a variety of units planned: townhouses with small private yards;
three-storey walk ups; and units accessible by elevator over the
common-house, ranging from studios to four-bedroom flats.  The detailed
plans for the spacious common house are now being established by the members
and architect.  Plans include kitchen, dining room, living room with
fireplace and "green-house/conservatory," children's room, office, guest
rooms, "rec" room and library/quiet room.  The site has space for vegetable
and flower gardens, open grassy area, tot lots, and a "quiet," shady
retreat. An underground, secure parking garage (and storage area) is planned.

The cost of the units is expected to be below the market-rate in Cambridge,
and maintenance costs will be significantly reduced by energy and water
conserving construction, and heating and cooling systems.  We are also
hopeful of including affordable units for residents of Cambridge who meet
income eligibility requirements; however, these are essentially spoken for
at this time.

We have twenty-four full member households and several more prospective
members at present.  The smaller units are mostly spoken for, and our
membership search at present is focusing on families with children under 15,
who would like a townhouse.

We hold regular orientation meetings and our regular membership meetings are
also open to visitors and prospective members.

Call us for dates, times and locations -  or just to talk.

Leave a message at OAKTREE (617) 491-9100 any evening after 7 or on weekends
-  One of our members will call you back.
{Oaktree is our developer/architect - a couple who are also members of our
cohousing group!]

Rowena Conkling
for Cambridge Cohousing (still)
rowenac [at] worldnet.att.net