RE: To accept or not to accept
From: Rob Sandelin (Exchange) (RobsanExchange.MICROSOFT.com)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 12:01:56 -0500
One thing that I think would have been enourmously helpful for us would
have been some sort of training program for  members.  If every member
knew the basics of Consensus, cooperative communication techniques, and
basic mediation techniques, things would go SO much easier. These
things are not taught by society or in typical schooling, but can be
learned. (I teach just such a weekend course)

Sort of the Community school idea, giving folks who have no experience
or training in group endeavors, proven techniques for being effective
members of a group.=20

I have found that people with good communication skills, no matter what
their personality types, can be great members of a group. Conversely,
great people who lack cooperative experience and have poor
communication skills can, without intending to do so, really cause huge
problems within a group. I know of one start up group that died after
the first couple of meetings due to one persons poor communication
skills.  This is pretty extreme, but it happens. Often the person
causing the problem is unaware of their style and its effects and they
blunder along without getting any constructive feedback or training.
These people are not bad, they are just ignorant of group communication
needs.

It would be easy to reject such a person as being "difficult", yet all
they really need is some training in how to be an effective member of a
group. =20

I am not sure what criteria you could use for who becomes a member. A
very common place cohousing residents seem to get out of balance over
is the sense of community vs. convient place to live debate.  Many
folks who found cohousing groups put in huge energies because they want
to build a sense of community. Often, folks who join later join for the
benefits and convienance, with much less  willingness to make
commitments to the community. This dichotomy can become an undercurrent
of dissatisfaction from both sides, those who want more community
activities and involvements and those who want less. I have heard this
from residents of 9 cohousing groups so it seems to be pretty common
place.

>From my place on the soap box, I would encourage you to filter for
those who seek community and are willing to commit time to it. Creating
a strong vision statement which must be ackowleged by signing, would be
a good place to start. Creating a membership survey process might be
another, where prospective members explain why they want to join and
what they bring to the group. Unfortunately, most capital project
groups find that at a late stage they will sign up any warm body with
money in order to make the project fundable and spend their recruitment
time "selling" all the benefits of the project, never once asking
potential members what THEY can offer.  So picking members may be kind
of luxery that you don't really have.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood Community
Northwest Intentional Communities Association