Re: To accept or not to accept
From: Michael Omogrosso (omodarkwing.uoregon.edu)
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 09:26:28 -0500
Out of the shadows the lurker speaks.  High folks, yes East blair housing
cooperative is questioning a selection made over a year ago right now.
On the surface and  pre selection interviews cooperativeness was the
shinny cloak this person wore, but almost immediately while we were
reexamining our mission statement, this person began speaking against our
"authoritarian" rules.  Now we are a bit different than most cohousing in
that we are a rental cooperative and have just moved from a housing
authority contract to section 8 vouchers, but still value by value
comparisons should equate with cohousing.

Our interview process is rather exhaustive and we do research
references.  Even then we have one sneak by every so often who is
detramental to the group.  The key is to constantly be strenghtening the
ties with  the folks who want it so that  the  storms from those who
don't can be weathered.  Then either constant subtle peer pressure may
push them out or resort to the  Quaker method of ministry--approach by
two or more with genuine concern and try to sensse why the person is
adversary.  There is usually a reason.

Michael Omogrosso
East Blair Housing Cooperative
864 W. 4th Ave. #3, Eugene, Oregon 97402, USA
omo [at] darkwing.uoregon.edu    541-344-8444
photographer, community land trust advocate