Houses/home/ vs. Units
From: Joani Blank (jeblankhooked.net)
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 13:25:13 -0500
Hey Tom,

Not all coho communities are made up of single family or houses or homes
like Winslow is. I certainly wouldn't want to call my unit an apartment or a
condo, now would I. Our Common House is not a separate building. But we call
it a Common House anyway 'cause after all we're in cohousing or just because
it feels right. If I invite a neighbor over for a cup of tea, I probably
would say, come by my place or even my house. Still, our residences will
probably always be called units. I'm usually a stickler for word usage, but
this time I'm more concerned with how we feel about the places we live, than
about what we call them.

Chuck (Durrett) told a great story at the CA conference which I thought list
readers would enjoy. It seems that Chuck and Katie's daughter Jessie is
studying insects in her kindergarten class. She asked her dad to identify a
dead insect she found on her windowsill. "It's just a common house fly,"
said Chuck. "Well then," Jessie replied, "what's it doing in my bedroom?"

Joani