RE: Programming the commonhouse
From: Rob Sandelin (Floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 00:00:05 -0600

Several private emails asked about how you "program" a commonhouse, whats
involved, etc.  I faciliated the programming for my own community and here is
what I did.

We started with defining our value set. The group responded in writing to the
questions:  Why did you come here, and what are the things you cherish most
about Sharingwood.  We then distilled all the answers down to a set of
over-acrching values statements which became the foundation of our program.

Next we defined the activities that could happen that would facilitate the
values. For instance one value was: A safe place for kids, so we examined what
activities or attributes made such a thing happen.

Then we began to define types of spaces activities happen in, and their
attributes.  As this was being done, several members formed field trips and
went out and surveyed and measured a wide variety of spaces, such as kids
spaces in an environmental learning center, restraunts, YMCA camps, the two
other existing common houses in our area, plus a couple of intentional
communities.  This gave us a wealth of ideas about attributes of spaces.

We then prioritized the list by giving all the list of ideas to everyone and
giving them 22 stickers. (there were something like 80 items on the list).
People got to put as many as 3 stickers on any one thing. We tallied them and
made a graph and that gave us a prioritized list of the 18 most important
things. (some stuff, like "astromonical observatory" fell off the list
altogether) Note: This, (gasp) is basically voting. We then consensused on the
prioritized list.

We then defined relationships and requirements for spaces, How does the entry
space relate to the bathroom, kitchen, kids space? We did this with a couple
different workshops.

In the end we had a very usable description of what we wanted, which we then
used as the guidelines for the drawings.  The drawings were very much site
dependant, but the program was the checklist and checkpoint of the concept. I
think the commonhouse we ended up with is very much what we originally wanted
via programming and meets our values nicely. But of course, I WOULD say that,
who knows what others might say......

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood
Where the commonhouse is decorated with cool Halloween stuff