RE: Child Labor
From: Rob Sandelin (Floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 23:10:37 -0600
Do you folks do any non-business meeting format stuff, like sharing circles?
What can work really well for loaded issues to is come together to have a
non-decision discussion of just feelings.  Resentment is a very powerful,
anti-community force that in my opinion SHOULD BE DEALT WITH, not ignored.

At Sharingwood there are no participation expectations for anyone, people
partipate as they see the need, both community and personal. This means some
folks do more than others, but, in theory anyway, it's because they want to,
not because they have to.

Kids help out on random occaisions, as they want to. Since we don't coerce
adults to contribute I am not sure how we could ever expect to do so with the
kids. We do coerce the kids to clean up the kids room in the commonhouse but
that's about it.  Very occaisionally a child will help with dinner prep or
clean up.

Some kids are regular helpers in the garden, and this comes from the adult
being encouraging and inviting, not demanding. The kids see an interesting
adult puttering in the garden and then get interested.  Clean up in the
commonhouse kid space is often done as a game (we have a couple of teachers
who do this well).

You mention there is a group of parents that would love to have their kids
help if only the community would come up with guidelines.......I am sorry, I
don't mean to be critical, but why in the world does a community have to have
"guidelines" in order for a kid to help out? Can no one take any initiative
and just have their kid start helping as they, the parent see fit, without
having the whole community make guidelines? That seems like a pretty lame
excuse to me. Or else, in my opinion, you need to seriously decentralize your
decision making, so individuals can do things without the community having to
make a decision about every little everything.

Rob Sandelin
Happy Thanksgiving
  • Child Labor Ann Barbarow, November 27 1996
    • RE: Child Labor Rob Sandelin, November 29 1996