RE: Street or Driveway?
From: Rob Sandelin (Floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 17:16:06 -0700 (MST)
Would a stranger walking down a common street in a cohousing neighborhood feel
like he's trespassing?

Well, depends on how closed the street feels.  In our neighborhood, we are at
the end of the road, with a large County sign at our entrance that says, End
of county Rd.  There are two more signs a little further in, one says private
lane, and a much more prominent sign that says: Sharingwood Cohousing. Its
pretty obvious you are in a private development at that point, and many people
do turn around.

If the weather is nice, there are usually a fair amount of people out and
about on the street and so any stranger, who of course totally stands out,
would be greeted at the very least with a hello how are you...

Other places, for instance, the "street" at Winslow or Puget Ridge is much
more feeling of private development, the homes are much closer to the "street"
and thus I couldn't image someone just walking through their without feeling
they were trespassing in a private development. I've made many visits to both
places and so feel very much at home, but still it is a private feeling, not a
public one.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood.

  • Street or Driveway? Thomas Alexander, November 28 1996
    • RE: Street or Driveway? Rob Sandelin, November 30 1996