Affordability strategies
From: David Mandel (dlmandelrcip.com)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 18:03:44 -0600
I recently completed (finally) expanding and otherwise improving an outline
of strategies for affordability that might be useful to cohousing groups
that want to create mixed-income projects that will include some low-income
members.

This was originally prepared for a panel on the subject I organized at the
California conference in October. List subscribers might recall that I
mentioned it back then and a few people wrote for copies.

Anyway, it's now quite long and maybe not of general interest, so I'm not
putting the whole thing here. But if you want, you can get it in any of the
following ways:

1. Send me an e-mail message and I'll send you a copy. Since the material
is written as an outline, however, I'm afraid it may come out difficult to
read on your screen. But you're welcome to ignore this warning and ask for
it anyway.

2. I have sent it to Stuart, who promised to add a link to it on the
cohousing www page. Perhaps he'll figure out a way to do it so it will come
up readable for everyone. Watch the web page for it; I'll also announce
here when I know it's up.

3. I'm still happy to send out hard copies by regular mail. Send me a
self-address stamped envelope at 440 T Street, Sacramento, CA 95814. 32
cents should be sufficient as long as your envelope isn't unusually heavy.
For those of you who already did this, you may want to do so again to get
the expanded version. Sorry about that.

I'm also interested in hearing about any groups that are making or want to
make serious efforts to include lower-income people in their projects. And
I'm happy to help out with free advice whenever I can.

David Mandel, Southside Park Cohousing