RE: Kids and cohousing "families"
From: Rob Sandelin (Floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 20:35:21 -0600
Anne asked about are there discussions about parenting and goals and
philosophies of parenting.

This is very timely for me, as last weekend I mediated a community dispute
over just this very issue (at another community) and it turned out the real
problem, once we got under the surface, was that one couples style of
parenting was very disapproved of by the other parents. Because of the
defensiveness and unclear boundaries of the members, it was never discussed,
so it just sort of festered.  The bad news of all this was, being I am not a
very good mediator yet, the other parents more or less laid fault at this one
couples door, they took it on the chin, and left the community with a great
deal of emotional upheaval. Gakkk.

And of course, the next week, I got in the mail, a book that could have
resolved much of the problem. Its called, Taking charge, a parent and Teacher
guide to loving discipline  by JoAnne Nordling.  I will confess here and now
that I have only scanned this book yet, but, the first few things I found were
ideas that could have resolved some of the problems in the group I mediated.
(There is a cosmic connection here, getting this book, out of the blue, from a
group I did a workshop for two days after I blow a mediation about parenting
issues. I was about to throw in the towel on mediation and now maybe I'll keep
at it)

Anyway, this book is found in libraries and seems to have a good amount of
wisdom in it. Check it out if such interest you.

Rob
Sharingwood
And yes David, its a requirement at Sharingwood to be higher evolved. I
thought you knew :-)