Seven Rules - CLARIFICATION
From: Rhys Howitt (rhysmacquarie.matra.com.au)
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 14:56:58 -0600
Rob Sandelin wrote:
>Robs seven rules for community happiness
>
>1. Be open to outcome.
>2. Speak your truth carefully and wisely. Tell people why.
>3. Pay attention. Listen three times as much as you speak.
>4. Clean up your messes. The sooner the better.
>5. Let no community good thing go unheralded - praise each other, and the
>universe  often.
>6. When its your turn to clean  toliets, sing and make it fun.
>7. Take ownership of your feelings, and when appropriate, share them.

When I originally posed the question, I was thinking about Legal Mechanisms
rather than principles (the 'official rules' rather than the 'real rules').
What Rob and others have provided is food for thought and is appreciated;
I'll use then in our project's newsletter (unless the authors prefer not).

HOWEVER our current issue is the legal rules.  We'll be doing our
subdivision under Community Title, which in New South
Wales (Australia) means you own your house lot and have a share in the
common land, not so different from an American condo as I understand it,
just a larger scale.

This legal form of title is relatively new and we have had few models to
base our rules on.  We found a Golf Course Luxury Housing Estate and have
adapted our draft rules from this.  We took out the bit about having to have
a letterbos of a precise design and colour, and took out the bit out having
your flower species and colours approved by the Review Committee and their
employed architectural advisor.  BUT it is still incredibly detailed and
proscriptive and negative in its approach.

Max Lindegger is a permaculture semi-guru in Australia, and he has said that
it is better to design rules into your development rather than having them
as laws.  If you provide good recycling facilities, people are much more
likely to use them, and if you don't have such facilities, few people will
co-operate regardless of your laws.  So I'd love to see a much simpler set
of rules, written positively, and supported by excellent design.

So where I was coming from was looking for simple, effective
legal-obligation type laws.  The real laws, like 'close the gate so you
don't let the sheep out', and 'do unto others as you would have them do to
you', are another matter entirely.

Any more feedback much appreciated.

Rhys Howitt
Director (one of seven)
Crossroads Medieval Village Co-operative Ltd
Yass, Australia