People who leave cohousing
From: Joani Blank (jeblankhooked.net)
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 23:15:38 -0600
I am often asked what are the disadvantages of living in cohousing. I
usually respond that from my personal point of view, there are none. (I'm
one of those weirdos who actually thinks meetings are okay--sometimes they
are actually fun, and even if they difficult, they strengthen the sense of
community.)  Then, if I'm pressed, I will respond that I know of at least a
couple of reasons why people who have lived in cohousing have left. (I have
not talked with these people, just heard second hand about their concerns)

>From someone without children or with grown children: "I wanted to live with
kids, but not with THAT MANY kids."

>From a parent of young children: "We did not want our kids growing up with
others whose parents were more permissive than we are. The whole parenting
ethic in the community was quite different from ours"

I think it would be most interesting to interview people who have moved out
of cohousing because it wasn't working for them to learn what their reasons
for leaving were. Absent such a research project, perhaps list subscribers
would like to suggest other reasons they have heard expressed or know about.
Then when one of the graduate students who lurks on this list needs a
research topic he or she will already have some suggestions for the
development of a hypothesis.

Joani Blank
Doyle Street Cohousing and Old Oakland CoHousing, ESNM (eagerly seeking new
members), SF Bay Area!