Re: Renter Involvement / Renters in cohousing
From: Richard L. Crouse (crousefreenet.msp.mn.us)
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 10:22:42 -0600
I wasn't doing any name calling and if anyone has taken it that way, then 
I sincerely apologize. All I'm saying is that in order to get any 
involvement from the renters, our block leaders need to do their part in 
letting the people know what's available. Furthermore, if the blockleader 
doesn't have the time to do this; then he or she should pass it to 
someone that does have the time to do it ; or like one person stated, 
find someone as an assistant block leader to help carry the load.

                                        Richard


On Wed, 8 Jan 1997, Jacqueline J. Starr wrote:

> I hope we don't get to caught up into the name calling back and forth, 
> every person on here is entitled to his or her opinion and if it just so 
> happen to differ from mine oh well. I don't think it makes a person a 
> lousy block club leader but at the same time the renter probably don't 
> know that the neighborhood has these type of things in place, Yoy Can't 
> miss what you never had, so even if the block club leader persay don't go
>  someone else involved in the neighborhood could go and tell of some
>  of the positive things going on. When a person move into a new neighborhood
>  they don't want to hear of a bunch of mess. If you choose to go and 
> carry a bunch of negativity such as you don't know why that lousy block 
> club leader didn't come to welcome them into the neighborhood themselves,  
> consider yourself as a person who just killed  
> what possibly could have been one of the most influential people around.
> 
> Thank You 
> 
> Jackie
> 
> On Wed, 8 Jan 1997, Richard L. Crouse wrote:
> 
> > Apparently someone doesn't like my comment about the block leader. My 
> > comment is from MY personal experience. I disagree with Fred Olson's 
> > remark too.
> > 
> > If a block leader can't take five lousy minute to welcome the new renter 
> > into their block and to let them know what's available in their block, 
> > then YES! they are a very lousy block leader and needs to pass it on to 
> > some one else.
> >                             
> >                                     Richard
> > 
> > 
> > On Wed, 8 Jan 1997, Richard K McMartin wrote:
> > 
> > > 
> > > 
> > > Richard McMartin
> > > mcmar001 [at] maroon.tc.umn.edu
> > > 
> > > 
> > > On Tue, 7 Jan 1997, Fred H Olson wrote:
> > > 
> > > > Regarding the comments about block club leaders not doing as much 
> > > > outreach as would be desireable...
> > > > --
> > > > Fred H. Olson  fholson [at] tc.umn.edu  (612)588-9532  Amateur radio: 
> > > > WB0YQM 
> > > 
> > > Thank You for reminding folks of these things.  Just because we volunteer 
> > > for the job does not mean that we want to do the job.  There are lots of 
> > > other things that I __need__ to be doing and want to be doing.
> > > 
> > > Folks tend to forget that we have other obligations like aging parents 
> > > and aging parents-in-law.  Frequently we become their only form of 
> > > transportation and other support.  (Gosh Mom, I can't take you to the 
> > > doctor today because I have to door-knock for a block club meeting).
> > > 
> > > Then there are other obligations like making sure your kids get to school 
> > > activities and their friends homes, fixing the garage door, shoveling the 
> > > walk and work.
> > > 
> > > So before you criticize others for not doing their part to help you,
> > > consider that they may have work obligations, family or extended family 
> > > with fatal or chronic illnesses, or that they would just like to have 
> > > some fun that doesn't involve you.
> > > 
> > > Most of all no one should have to justify why they are not more 
> > > involved.  If you are in some of the situations described above it takes 
> > > a lot of energy to deal with the situation.  Sometimes you need to be 
> > > able to take time out from all of these things just to do stuff like 
> > > exercise, read or just veg in front of the TV.
> > > 
> > > I am a block club leader because:
> > > 1. No one else is willing to do it, or has burned out doing it.
> > > 2. Self interest.  If I don't I and my family will have less of a chance 
> > >    survive.  Sort of a Darwinian view.
> > > 3. Social.  Despite that fact that I am a curmudgeon, I have a need for 
> > >    contact with my neighbors, even if it is just chatting over the fence. 
> > > 
> > > I am a lousy block club leader.  I don't care that you think so.  I won't
> > > doornkock unless I know the person behind the door fairly well. I will 
> > > do what I have time to do not what you think I have time to do.  It is 
> > > lower on my list of priorities that other things in my life like family 
> > > and work.
> > > 
> > 
> 

Results generated by Tiger Technologies Web hosting using MHonArc.