Update on Capital District Group + 3 questions
From: Heather (HS9981CNSIBM.ALBANY.EDU)
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 08:31:15 -0600
Hello, everyone.  I just wanted to give a progress report on my group and
to ask a few questions.
   The Capital DIstrict Cohousing Group in the Albany area of New York
is almo four rears old.    Those of you at the East coast conference in
Oct. heard me say that we were on the brink basically - burn-out and a lack
of progress being the root causes.  However, we have recently overcome the
classic urban-rural tension and focused in on a parcel.  We are in the
process of trying to obtain a option on the land so that we may proceed.
There are 5 core families involved now.
   We had put a hold on outreach efforts over a year ago in order to identify
a parcel.  Now that we have we are ready to jump in with both feet again.
As you all know we have a lot of work to do now.  I will keep you posted
on our progress ( and I'd love to have other groups periodically update us
on their progress as well ).
   I have a few questions:

   1) I remember a while back a couple of people offered copies of
group documents (all kinds) for the cost of copying and postage.  Would you
people who have gatheres documents please make that announcement again?
   2) ALso, a while back, I remember some discussion among groups in
New York State about the issue with offering plans.  Can anyone from
Ithaca or Saugerties or other groups that have grappled with this please
briefly restate the issue and what you did about it?

   3) Recently we have been doing some preliminary design workshops
with an architect.  During one of these workshops the issue of
standardization came up.  This architect along with an architect-group member
said that you don't necessarily save money by standardizing.  Many of us
were surprised to hear this as much of the cohousing literature and
common wisdom recommends standardization for cost effectiveness.  Anyone
care to comment?

Well, we are looking forward to hearing from you.  And thanks to everyone
for keeping this list going.  It really is a wonderful resource and fun
to read!

        Heather Sullivan-Catlin    (HS9981 [at] cnsibm.albany.edu)
        Capital District Cohousing Group
        Albany, New York