Re: Standardization
From: Denise Cote' (denisediac.com)
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 16:27:24 -0600
Oops.  This is a little old, because my original attempt to post it
bounced back to me due to an error in my email settings.  If you all
recall, we were debating the merits of standardization in reducing costs.

John Major of Wasatch Cohousing wrote:

>"...Value engineering"...is what the jargon calls the process of bringing a
>builder on *early* - in our case, about 5 months - before competitive
>bidding, to work *closely* with the architect and the design process to
>reduce cost. Now, both our architect and builder had extensive
>experience doing affordable housing, but they've also done plenty of
>fancy stuff (residential, restaurants, etc.), but we had the pleasant
>surprise of having the first cost analysis come in *under* our square foot
>cost target, which was $65/sft.

It sounds like you've been very successful at using standardization (and
good agreements, along with clear communication, with your architect and
builder) to keep costs under control.  Good work!  Let's keep in touch on
this one as both Geneva and Wasatch proceed.  It will be interesting to
see how the final cost analysis and customer satisfaction quotients turn
out, and perhaps end up with a range of workable possibilities for future
cohousing groups to choose from.

Denise Cote'
Geneva Community, Boulder/Lyons, Colorado
denise [at] diac.com

Denise Cote'
Boulder, Colorado
denise [at] diac.com