RE: Consensus and Voting
From: Rob Sandelin (Floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 17:28:52 -0700 (MST)
Dan wrote:
Oh, and you may have noticed that consensus makes for longer meetings! Get
used to delegating problems to committees -- the full group will still have
to approve the committee recommendation, but in my experience this takes a lot
less time.

I would suggest that the facilitator should carefully examine the agenda of
the meeting, prior to its begining, to look for items that are small group,
not large group. Thus far in my observations of groups, a very large amount of
time is wasted in large group meetings by agenda items that really should be
small group work.  At the very least, divide the group up into subgroups to
work through this at the meeting, and then bring the subgroups all together,
report and clarify their input in brainstorm fashion.  This can make even a
heavy agenda item move pretty quickly, especially if the group is bigger than
20.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood