Re: consensus and the greater good of the group
From: MollyW (MollyWedc.org)
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 12:44:58 -0600
Hello, We in Cambridge Co-Housing are grappling with issues of how to do
consensus better and just what it is. One test I have used in OTHER sitiuations
is to ask, are the concerns brought forth from a principled position or from a
personal choice position? Personal preference choices usually are encouraged to
step aside, and we are interested in collecting ways to do that encouraging! The
facilitator or clerk can ask the concerned person if they are willing to step
aside and usually someone is willing and states so by saying, "I feel the sense
of the meeting is to move forward, I will not stand in the way..." I take
encoragement from the fact that groups get better at doing this as they know
each other's needs better...Molly