Looking for info on "long term reserve studies"
From: Rodchamp (Rodchampaol.com)
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 02:34:43 -0600
Highline Crossing Cohousing Community in Littleton, CO is completing its
build-out this spring and we have started including funding for "long term
reserves" as part of our homeowner fees.  Long-term reserves are collected to
provide funds for major capital (maintenance and/or replacement) projects
such as parking areas, roofs, building exteriors, etc.

Does anyone have any experience or advice on preparing a long-term reserve
study?  Professional engineering firms usually quote $1000-2000 to perform a
study and do-it-yourself kits are available for $200-500.   We would like to
develop an accurate study but keep the cost as modest as possible.
 Preliminary efforts to get reliable replacement cost and life estimates from
contractors have not been fruitful because contractors are only interested in
providing such estimates for current, "real" projects.

Any information or insight on this issue that anyone may have would be
welcomed.

Thanks!

Rod Champney
Highline Crossing Cohousing Community