Cooperative Day Care
From: Zukrow (Zukrowaol.com)
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 12:51:57 -0700 (MST)
Hi all,

Diane asked me to elaborate on our cooperative day care system here at Valley
Oaks Village.  Someone watches the children on week-days.  The rate for
childcare is $2 per child per hour.  Most parents take some childcare shifts
in order to pay for having their kids watched.  In that case, no money is
exchanged.  If a child is being watched more than their parents watch the
other kids, then they pay the caregivers $2 per hour per child.  Most of the
childcare shifts are taken by parents, although there are times when no
parents are  available to watch the kids.  Then someone (either from inside
the community or outside) is hired to watch the kids.  I don't know how the
actual accounting is done, I think the parents and caregivers keep track for
themselves.

Kids come and go throughout the day depending on their (& their parents')
schedules, and the caregivers do as well.  There are 2-7 kids in day care at
a time, being watched by 1 adult.  They are watched in private homes, the
common house, outside, the park... wherever the caregiver wants to take them.

I am not a parent, but I have watched the kids on  a number of occasions when
they were unable to fill a childcare shift.  I do it just to help out rather
than to earn money.  I'm hoping to get help when I need it in exchange.

I hope this is clear.

Monica Zukrow
Valley Oaks Village, Chico CA