Pet Policy
From: Joani Blank (jeblankhooked.net)
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 14:23:32 -0700 (MST)
Its a while since there has been a discussion of pets in cohousing, so
let's have another go around. Rumor has it that pet policy is the single
most  contentious issue in cohousing communities. Is that true today? I
wasn't in the Doyle St. group when the pet policy was being discussed, but
the policy is: Each household may have up to one dog and up to two cats.
Collectively (twelve households) we have two dogs and we have had up to 6
cats, although I believe we have only two at the moment. Pets are never
permitted in the common house.

A number of households have been unable to consider Old Oakland because
they have too many animals to consider a very urban/downtown living
situation that would not accomodate their  pets. I am not a pet
person--just ask my parakeet about my tendency to ignore him--so I do not
have a serious emotional involvement with domesticated animals. Besides
that, I'm deathly allergic to cats. But I am fascinated by the relationship
that others have with their pets.

Joani
Doyle St. and Old Oakland CoHousing(s), both on the sunny side of San
Francisco Bay.
Today's recruiting pitch for Old Oakland CoHousing: We will live a 12-15
minute BART (subway) ride from downtown San Francisco. Our BART station is
two short blocks away from our front door.