Re: Building Diversity
From: John Major (jmajormhz.com)
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 10:15:54 -0600
Hi -

As far as families with children go, BE SURE you have steady, reliable
day-care during your business and introductory meetings. It goes a
*very* long way to helping families, esp. with young kids, feel welcome,
and to be able to focus on the difficult organizational job at hand. And
besides, what parent can pass up a baby-stting opportunity!    ;-)

Specifically, we found a person that was willing to commit to our
once-every-two weeks schedule, and found a meeting space that had a
good, adjacent day care room (with kitchen, TV and the like - it is a bank
vault in a City Building, so you swing the iron door shut to cut the noise!).
We guarantee the sitter a weekly fee, and each parent "tips" per child as
well. So far it has worked well, but we started out by doing it all
ourselves and getting pretty burned out on it. For one thing, the families
with children are just as often some of the "burning souls", and for them
to have to worry about kids in addition to being amateur developers was
pretty stressful. So our current arrangement is very much appreciated,
and we have had good success attracting families with kids.

Keep in mind that we've had the opposite complaint as well, to be fair -
that we are too biased to family needs, and not aware enough of
singles. So it's tough to get it just so - that's why it's a Process, right?

John Major
Wasatch Cohousing - where we have closed out the unit
"customizations", and are nailing down "option" plans for the units - and
have started the real applications to the banks - and are getting ready to
apply for our building permit - and... and...