Re: Coho-L Tailing Off? No. Just in a slow period
From: Joani Blank (jeblankhooked.net)
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 01:36:26 -0600
Two more reason things are slowing down IMHO (from one who is known to have
an opinion about everything--even things she knows nothing about.)

1. Some of those who used to have a response to just about everything have
considerably reduced their input for what I expect are a varienty of
reasons. I hope that in many cases this is, as in my case, that they are
busy building a new group or better yet, are actually getting closer to, or
are actually under construction.  The all-too-familiar burnout when a group
can't find or loses a site may also be infecting some groups or individuals.

Three antidotes for this latter problem are:

a) have a party or more than one party, and have someone write a
celebratory note to this list about what fun you all had;

b) Re-read Rob Sandelin's inspirational note from a couple of weeks back on
why groups fail and what to do to prevent it.  (Rob, how about posting that
from time to time to give us all a kick in the butt.)

c) Vent your frustrations and your successes to the list with brief
postings and elicit commiseration and support or pats on the back from the
rest of us. The more specific you are, the more appropriate and satisfying
the responses should be.

2. If, as Fred tells us, there are actually more subscribers than ever,
some of our lurkers must be feeling kinda shy. How about some of us
old-timers volunteering to field private messages from those who are
worried that they will embarrass themselves by  "speaking"  to over 500
subscribers all at once.

This would not be so that the old-timer could answer questions or respond
to comments individually, but rather would have the function of mentoring
the newcomer through his or her first few postings.  I will volunteer
myself to do this for a while to see if is useful; if others want to join
me that would be nifty.

Joani Blank
jeblank [at] hooked.net
Doyle St. CoHousing and Old Oakland CoHousing at Swan's Market