Re: COHOUSING-L digest 117
From: Scott Cowley (scowleyalexandria.lib.utah.edu)
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 09:58:44 -0600
On Home Schooling:
I agree with David.  Home schooling is mostly a right-wing knee jerk,
and another luxury reserved for those wealthier families who can afford to have
Mom stay home.
However, here in Utah home schooling is also used to escape from public
oppression.
What that means is their kids, who don't seem to be able to wait for reform,
don't have to suffer a 40+ class loads, loss of music and art programs, narrow,
jingoist cultures, overloaded and frustrated teacher-adults, no choices, and no
equipment.
  What home schoolers also DON"T get to see is the political priorities of our
"agents of the state", to sense the callous selfishness of those in control of
a state
currently awash in surplus funds, to experience the process of indoctrination fo
r a
world of work, or suffer the same deprivations of others in the world they are
inherit.
   So where's the real education ?
Partly it is in the beauty of the possibilities...such as functional  and
cooperative
communities like cohousing.  It also needs the contrast of the personal and
immediate realities of the capitalist system of today.