Re: breaking ground & stress
From: Julie Ellen Boleyn (ellenuruk.org)
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 18:36:08 -0500
On Tue, 8 Apr 1997 MartyR707 [at] aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 4/8/97 7:36:11 AM, Judy Linton wrote:
>
> <<You'll probably hear from others in our group in Ann Arbor, MI.  We are
> proud that we are getting close to breaking ground the end of May.>>
>
> That makes at least 3 groups (including US!) that I know are breaking ground
> in May.  Is it something in the stars??  Our celebration is May 3.  Then
> there's Ann Arbor, and Wasatch (Hi John and Marty!) We've had our new name of
> Two Acre Wood for a few weeks now and it seems to be fitting well.

Lets make that 4 groups! Trillium Hollow in Portland Oregon will be
breaking ground on the 10th of May.

> The stress and pressure, however, are at an all time high.  I had my first
> melt-down in a meeting last weekend.  Any helpful suggestions from veterans
> out there on what to do when everyone is too busy and stressed out to support
> each-other?

I'd suggest a healthy dose of silliness. This stage of the game has to be
one of the hardest with the money issues, budget, construction documents,
etc. So rather than trying to push people to be more involved or
supportive.-- which is often our first reaction-- celebrating the
involvement and support people are already doing may be a better approach.
The best thing I've found to do that is silliness... bring out the
playdough, legos and the ice breaker meeting openers, give cirtificates
for crazy and zany things, have a funny face contest, bring pecan sticky
buns to a meeting. However, don't indoctrinate it, because then it causes
more stress...

> I'm having a bit of a hard time remembering the benefits of
> community at the moment when we're all so over-loaded and financially
> pressed, etc.  It's especially hard as a single person with no one at home to
> plan and rant and rave with.  It does get better, doesn't it??

I've heard rumors that it does ;-). I think things will begin to take on
a routine during construction, with a few ups and downs, and then as move
in gets closer there should be another flurry of activity. Unfortunately
for us, move in happens around Christmas... part of me actually hopes for
a schedule overrun.

But someday, some glorious day, we'll all live together... and meetings
will become a much less stressful endeavor.

- Julie Boleyn

Trillium Hollow Cohousing Neighborhood in Portland Oregon, where we're
finalizing construction documents, getting permits from the county and
filing our CC&R's. We've got eight more units to sell, and an awesome new
marketing commitee! See our website: www.trillium-hollow.org.