Re: COHOUSING & TV
From: Stuart Staniford-Chen (staniforcs.ucdavis.edu)
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 12:45:28 -0500
Sue Conklin wrote:

> I don't think bashing television is productive.

It's probably more productive than watching it :-)

> Televison is how we use it, and if we, as a society would get pro-active
> with television instead of ostrich-like, or worse yet, scared rabbit
> like, we could change that which is on television and start using it for
> what it could be.

That would be nice wouldn't it.  Unfortunately, the reality is that most
people don't do that.  Most people spend many hours a day watching
mind-numbing crap in an unhealthy and addictive fashion, while imbibing
ads for three minutes out of every ten - ads which in general promote the
worldview that happiness is obtained by consuming products.

It's my belief that television is the major reason most Americans have
no community in their lives.  Now that I no longer live in cohousing,
I've become much more acutely aware of how most people live.  I never see
any of my neighbours.  When I first moved to this house, I used to make
reasons to hang out in my front yard in the hope of bumping into some of
them.  I've given up.  They drive up to their homes in the evening, step
inside, and then the blue light starts flickering in the window and
that's the last I see of them for the night.  I think television is a far
more important factor than cars in the sterility of suburbs.

And I don't even want to get into what television has done for political
discourse (see Neil Postman's "Amusing Ourselves to Death").

To me "Television is how we use it" is an argument akin to "Heroin is
how we use it".  Sure, if people would just use heroin once or twice a
year it would be a great drug.  Maybe there are a few strong minded
people who do that, but most people who use heroin do so in a destructive
and unhealthy way.  That's why it's an evil drug.

Similarly, there are some strong minded people who only watch the good
stuff on PBS (and a few who insist on the same for their kids).  But the
great bulk of people who own a TV watch it in an addictive, destructive
way.  Sure, we can accuse all of those people of being irresponsible, but
I prefer to blame the medium.

If a technology is such that most ordinary people will use it in a
destructive way, the techology is evil.  Heroin is evil.  Television is
also evil and it would be much better if it had never been invented.

Excuse my rant,

Stuart.

(Who doesn't own a TV, but sometimes watches it in a an addictive way
while staying in motel rooms on business travel and feels dirty and
degraded afterwards).

Stuart Staniford-Chen
stanifor [at] cohousing.org
Cohousing Network Webweaver
"Consulting Member" of N St and Marsh Commons Cohousing