Re: COHOUSING-L digest 126
From: Scott Cowley (scowleyalexandria.lib.utah.edu)
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 10:47:49 -0500
I'd like to thank Marilyn Chin and Diane Simpson  for helping to clarify some of
the issues behind "TV".  Primarily, that it is an instrument of our current
economic
system.
I think Marilyn's  relationship with her husband and their TV viewing agreement
is really quite revolutionary.
    The main goal of capitalist TV is to give you an "education".  That is, to
teach you that 1) you have no community, and 2) that the reason you have no
community is that you aren't driving the right kind of car,  drinking the right
type
of beer or buying the right toothpaste.
  To this righteous end, capitalists will use any human sensation  which they
are
permitted to.  So,
"It is no m(e)re coincidence that the rise of violence, sexual assaults and
exploitation of women, and the proliferation of guns has increased in
proportion to the violent"  (and other) "content of TV and film media."
    God forbid that you should share or recycle anything.  That would be
un-Productive, anti-competitive, and against "our" "free" enterprise system.
    My point is that TV is just a hammer.  It's more important to be critical
of the one swinging it.
    Keep up the good work, you all.