RE: COHOUSING & TV (fwd)
From: Cohousing-L listmgr (fholsonmtn.org)
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 12:48:47 -0500
Rob Sandelin  Sharingwood   floriferous [at] msn.com

NOTE: Forged subs and listserver "automatic removals" are causing havoc
lately with the list.  It's possible that I might make some mistakes
in editing the list.  If you have a problem write me at the address above.
I am considering making the list "private" for a while which would require
approval to subscribe (to combat forgeries).  Fred
********************  FORWARDED MESSAGE FOLLOWS ***********************

OK, I just have to jump into this thread again. (Boy, this reminds me of the
Christmas tree thread we had a couple years ago...Whew! Lots of buttons
getting pushed here)

I agree with Stuart, if I were god of my community the ONLY TV I would allow
would be IN the commonhouse.  I agree totally that TV is an isolating
activity, and like drinking, should never be done alone. TV is FUN! in
community. A bunch of us all watched the basketball playoffs together (not in
the commonhouse) and I think there was more commentary about the ads than the
game. This made a big impression on the 13 year old who was also watching, and
I have heard feedback since that he now mocks TV ads for subliminal
hucksterism that they are. This is from one exposure to a bunch of critical
thinking adults commenting about TV ads. Imagine the fun you could  have if
you did it regularly?

Yeah, most TV is junk, but its fun in community, with a bunch of others to
share it with.  I don't watch it, and I don't let my kids watch it, but I am
always glad to hear about TV parties happening in the neighborhood.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood
Where 10 of us watched the movie, James and Giant Peach last night till late
in the commonhouse (7 of us were under 10).