Domes for common houses -- or individuals
From: Michael Mariner (maikanoidcomm.com)
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 17:40:59 -0500
Maybe domes were discussed sometime on the list when I wasn't paying
attention, but I don't remember seeing them discussed as alternatives to
strawbale, earthships, etc.

I love rounded shapes of all kinds - underground kivas, sculpted adobe,
eartships, the large dome at Sunrise Ranch community (near Loveland, CO).

If you built a big dome as a common house, it could have a relatively
open structure for the ground floor for the dining, dancing, kitchen,
etc., then on the upper floor(s) it could have more private, enclosed
rooms for the various purposes of your community.

My understanding is there are many advantages to domes and most of the
disadvantages have been overcome (such as the original ones in the 60s
used to leak).

I hear geodesic domes can be relatively energy efficient, and are
earthquake resistant and high wind resistent.  They're not too expensive
to build and can be built out of more sustainable materials (e.g., they
don't have to be made out of wood/plywood.)

Any dome fans out there?  Any cohousing sites using them or considering
them?  If not, why not?  Please, let's not get cohousing-L into another
flame war about the merits of various building technologies -- if you
want to proselytize, just refer us to your web site and be done with it,
ok?

Michael

Coming Soon:  Communities of the Future website