Re: If you are new /tech talk IS appropriate
From: Fred H Olson (fholsonmaroon.tc.umn.edu)
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 08:30:10 -0500
On Fri, 18 Apr 1997 Jim Schliestett   Mbembe [at] aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/18/97 3:26:02 AM, jeblank [at] hooked.net (Joani Blank)
> wrote:
>
> <<Don't panic if you have just tuned to find all this super-high tech stuff
> in answer to a message posted in error by Paul Chen.  Paul said "ooops,"
> you guys. So if you really want to "converse" with him further about it,
> please carry on---of the list. Thanks>>
>
> As one who lurks with increasing delight on this list, I would not wish to
> inhibit high-tech talk.

I agree with Jim.  I think folks who don't like to read technical details
should learn to skip and delete such messages rather than call for them
to be kept off the list.  Certainly there are levels of technical detail
that are of limited interest and should be carried on direct email.
But technical issues of wide interest are welcome here.  Use your judgement.

BUT PLEASE USE CAREFULLY CONSIDERED INFORMATIVE SUBJECT LINES.

Is there anyone with the skills and inclination to write some code to add
a filter to Listproc (Catmail?) to reject messages with subjects of the
form: "Re: COHOUSING-L digest" ?   If so email me.

BTW I dont think Paul's "ooops" refered to a technical message.

A related appropriateness question came up recently - advertising
houses in cohousing on cohousing-L.  This is appropriate within
reason.
1) Limit ads to two screenfuls and once a month
2) Include several options for more info such as a web site, email and
   phone number.

Fred

--
Fred H. Olson  fholson [at] tc.umn.edu  (612)588-9532  Amateur radio: WB0YQM
List manager of  Nbhd-tc (Twin Cities Neighborhood issues)  and