RE: Buying Land
From: Rob Sandelin (Floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 09:44:51 -0500
Sharingwood, being somewhat oddball, purchased land with only ONE person. This
person became the founder, she then attracted a small core group who bought
the other half interest, later she sold off shares one at a time to recoop her
financial investment. In other words, she was willing to invest her money in
community rather than a bank, got no financial reward, but of course reaps the
rewards of the community. This was her intention. Another group forming in
Seattle is doing the same thing. One couple bought and committed to the site
and they are forming the group around them, with the intention of eventually
recooping their investment much later.

So, the group size I would worry most about is how much activity levels can
the group support without burnout  Eg, if one person is doing all the planning
and development work it may not be sustainable. My understanding of such
things comes from the study of small group dynamics and 8 partners is
generally considered the best number, its big enough so if a couple of
partners are lost they can replaced without too much angst or stress on the
group, and its the optimum sized group to make effective decisions.

So, if your proto group has enough energy and funds to carry the task forward,
do it. I would personally not invest my money in a group with less than eight
partners, and since I am currently forming a community as well, I live by my
own advice.

Rob Sandelin
Currently at Sharingwood
Someday at Cedar Village Permaculture Retreat Center