RE: Managing initial public meetings
From: BlairDrums (BlairDrumsaol.com)
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 00:15:18 -0500
Rob Sandelin wrote:

>I have never heard of a heckler at a cohousing meeting yet, but it may have
>happened. Its hard to make a presentation with somebody giving you grief,
>and you can simply say that to them, maybe they will back off. It's worked
for
>me in other circumstances.

I like this suggestion, Rob. Very clean and direct.

We had a one particular guest at our first or second public meeting that
gave us a hard time. I was 3 or 4 minutes into the presentation, when a
50-ish gentleman in the audience announced that he was an attorney, and
HE KNEW there would be legal problems with this whole arrangement, and
blah, blah, blah, and he had to leave early so he wanted an answer, and
blah, blah, blah.

It took a couple of firm verbal "throws" to redirect his energy (aikido
reference, not masked aggression), and assure the group that there were a
number of existing projects that were lawfully organized. I told him that
his question would be answered later in the presentation, and "since you
can't stay, please speak to another group member out in the hall on your
way out."

I talked to my brother, then a city council member in Eugene, Oregon. I
told him about our meeting. "A heckler at a cohousing meeting?" he
exclaimed. "You've got to be kidding!"

I'm glad to hear Rob's never heard of other groups having trouble with
this. I have not encountered any other guest like this fellow (who,
naturally, showed no further interest).

Blair Hornbuckle
Rochester, NY