food storage in commonhouse
From: Sue Conklin (sconklinVinton.COM)
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 15:02:53 -0600 (MDT)
Cascadia Commons Cohousing in Portland, Or. had made an offer on property.
It appears that the offer will be accepted.

Our architect would like for us to resolve food purchasing and storing
before we begin design.

What are other cohousing communities doing with regard to food storage in
the common house?  Is anyone using the commonhouse as a "Store" from which
households can pick up supplies? and pay for these supplies on a household
basis?

I know of one community that tried the honor system this way but it failed
and now people shop for groceries as needed.

Have any communities set up Wholesale agreements with some of the natural
foods producers or distributors to deliver to the community?

How much storage do you all have for food in your common houses?

Is anybody purchasing food wholesale for everyone in the community in any
well working, unique way that they can share what they are doing with us?

At the very least, what should we plan for in storing food in the commonhouse?

Sue