Re: Reinventing the Wheel
From: Michael Persons (mppphydeau.com)
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 20:27:05 -0600 (MDT)
In my opinion, lots of people proclaim their independence from others'
processes,
methods, design, architecture, etc., but when it's all said and done not
many of
the coho groups seem to look or act that different.  That's because, again
in my
opinion, people really are very similar.  That's why I'm in favor of my group
borrowing as much as we can from other groups.  Perhaps reinventing our own
wheels can be a group bonding process, but it can be an expensive and
time-consuming
one in many cases.  For example, designing your own units.  I'd be perfectly
happy to get an architect who knows cohousing principles to design our units.
I'd probably want more input to the site design, but for me the most important
part of this is the community, not getting the dining room and living room set
up just right.

I'd rather use group exercises, retreats, etc. to bond a group rather than
potentially expensive and time-consuming design tasks.  As the old saw goes,
the perfect is the enemy of the good enough.  I want cohousing, not a perfect
environment to live in.

MP

P.S.  I'm wondering what a social technology committee is, and what a social
infrastructure is.  Just curious.