Re: Chicken vs. Egg Issue
From: MelaSilva (MelaSilvaaol.com)
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 17:09:11 -0500

> I have been aware that cohousing groups form committees to do such
selections.

We were told "Go see such and such model homes. That is what you will get in

flooring
kitchen cabinets, sinks, lights
doors, handles
bathroom everything
window styles
baseboards

We went, we saw. Some stuff was OK, much was awful.
We formed committees who spent VAST amounts of time looking for affordable
substitutes. For many things the answer was " 80% of all homes built today
have Fixture A, so it costs less than half the price of the next better
thing."
We agreed to put our $ into things that couldn't easily be changed later.
 Some times, there were 2 or 3 readily available choices, like doorknobs,
sink handles, door styles.
 In that case, we did get to choose, by committee.
(We kept our list of personal uogade options VERY small).

Pam Silva
Southside Park, Sacramento