Small cohousing groups
From: Mike Malone (mikemdh-cc.health.state.mn.us)
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 11:17:09 -0500
Monterey Cohousing Community (MoCoCo) is also a small group. We have
15 units on 2.8 acres of land. Much of the land is unavailable for
building due to a utility easement. I'm amazed at the similarities
between MoCoCo and the Berkley group. We also bought land with a
pre-existing building which we have partially rehab. Some of our
members lived in the pre-existing building during development. MoCoCo
is in an area of high density housing, although there is plenty of
green space nearby.
We acted as our own developer because we could not find a developer
interested in such a small project or in cohousing.  The combination
of a small group, no building industry experience in the group,
limited financial resources, and doing the development work ourselves
made for  exhausted group members. In addition, being amatuers we
made expensive mistakes and ended with everyone assuming more debt
than they desired or had planned for. Fortunately, we had an
extremely helpful banker. There is a bank in Minneapolis that
specializes in financing for high risk local ventures. They gave us
much more than a loan and helped s avoid some mistakes we would have
otherwise made.
 For most of us, particularly those with children, our lives and social
activity became restricted
to cohousing. Now, a year after we have all moved in, many are trying
to recreating former social ties. Although I certainly know folks in the group
better than I have
previous neighbors, I don't feel close to anyone that I didn't know
prior to joining the group.  I don't think that being small always
means close-knit.
Gee, this all sounds pretty grumpy. We have had many wonderful times,
including a wedding on our front lawn, building a wonderful retaining
wall that snakes up a slope, and several  spontaneous lawn suppers.

Michael Malone
Cancer Control Section
Minnesota Department of Health
Internet address:  michael.malone [at] health.state.mn.us
Phone: (612)623-5670
Fax: (612)623-5520