Almost cohousing forming south of San Francisco
From: Sanda Everette (severetted.co.sanmateo.ca.us)
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 00:38:35 -0500
Posting update and shortened, next project, a web site.

San Francisco Bay area cooperative/intentional community/mini-co-housing
forming:

We are forming a small urban intentional community 20 miles south of San
Francisco. We have purchased 25% ownership of one of 8-4 unit apartment
buildings facing the lagoon between San Mateo and Foster City. There is
a possibility of purchasing the whole building and an adjacent second
4-unit building (in which we currently live) in another one to two
years. Because of the size of the lots, the city would allow the
additional construction of up to 3000 sq. ft...but not more than four
units. (We would want to go up rather than out, opening the possibility
for common space.)  There are fruit trees and room for an organic
garden. We are seeking other "families" to co-own/rent in some form of a
cooperative--something between intentional community and cohousing. We
hope to share some meals, gardening, and other interests. Perhaps other
buildings will come up for sale in the future so we can create a larger
urban community. This location is wonderful: lots of birds, sunrise over
the water, access to biking/walking path 1/2 block away, large park with
playground, tennis courts, etc., one-two blocks away, other recreational
opportunities nearby with the city amenities of proximity to freeway and
public transportation, etc.

I know this is not the way cohousing usually forms but it seems like a
viable alternative in the high priced San Francisco Bay area. It does
not seem too different that the N Street model.

We have a 25% ownership and 100% of the responsibility for the day to
day functioning of the building, including choosing tenants. (We will
get the tax benefits in exchange for our higher level of participation.)
We are planning how to prepare the soil for organic gardening in the
yards behind both buildings.  We expect to do mostly soil building the
first year.  We are looking at employing chicken tractors.

The biggest dilemma now is what to do about current tenants.  We will
probably start with sharing info about cohousing/community with them and
our goals and see if they want to "play."  I don't think they will.  I
don't know what we will do if they are not interested but do not want to
move.  I think we have the legal right to ask them to leave but that
feels awkward.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Sanda and Brian

For further info, write sanda [at] bigfoot.com or call 415/574-7155.