Re: "Non-cohousing" cohousing
From: Denise Meier and/or Michael Jacob (dmmjwco.com)
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 19:08:38 -0500
I have two comments. One is that I find it very ironic that having moved
to this town specifically to develop our cohousing project, I've been so
busy with cohousing meetings and other aspects of my life, that I've
barely gotten to know my present neighbors. I do at least know their
names, and have been in their houses, but considering our "commitment to
community", I think it's a sad comment on the high demands of the coho
development process that I haven't gotten any further than that.

The other comment is that the house next door to us was recently rented by
a couple in our coho group, who moved here a few months ago from
Philadelphia in order to be closer and help with the development process.
Of course we have a closer relationship with them than with our other
neighbors, but the limitations imposed by the physical relationship of our
two houses have been very obvious. In fact, I think if you wanted to
design 2 houses so that the neighbors would have little or nothing to do
with each other, these two would serve as a good example. It is
instructive to note what a large effect the physical factors have on the
ability to have spontaneous interactions, or even your willingness to
initiate "unspontaneous" interactions.

Denise Meier
Two Acre Wood
Sebastopol, California