Community and design
From: Rob Sandelin (Floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 08:48:58 -0500
I have posted about this before, so I will be brief (for me).  Design has in
my experience nothing to do with the level of community in a place. There are
dozens, no, hundreds of intentional communities that have terrible social
designs and enjoy great sense of community amoung the participants. One of the
most intense communities I have ever personally experienced has all the homes
on acre lots, totally visually separated from each other.

I have also been to well designed cohousing places that had very little sense
of community. Community does not come from the buildings, the pathways or even
the commonhouse, it comes from people and their expectations. If you expect
community, and you want it, it will happen, no matter what the layout.  That's
what the word, "intentional"  in intentional community refers to.

Community is expressed when your neighbor is having their in-laws over and you
invite their kids to your house so the adults can clean up for their mother in
laws visit, its when you mow somebody elses lawn because you want to surprise
them, its coming home from work early so you can go with a neighbor and hold
her hand at her cancer exam. It's found in all the little things you do for
each other, and for the group because, like love, you care about somebody
elses happiness.

Now, don't get me wrong, if you are going to be a developer, and you are going
to create 30 new homes from scratch, its smart to design it so people can bump
into  each other. But don't fool yourself and beleive that this is all it is.
More than a few groups have made the terrible mistake of thinking: " once we
get it built, THEN we'll have community". This is a large mistake. You must
build community as you go through the development process, otherwise you move
in and.....all you know about each other are your meeting styles.

Community is built through sharing work, celebrations, your histories, your
lives. It comes from giving of yourself and working for the best intentions of
the whole group. Like a good relationship it takes commitment and work, you
need to have those parties, those celebrations of joy and recognition,
otherwise the relationship goes stale, people get bored and drop out.

I just had a long conversation with a wonderful woman who just dropped out of
a forming cohousing project after giving it year. She left because, There was
no evidence to her, that the group cared much about each other at all. "They
were just acting like a bunch of squabbling developers, they never affirmed
each other, nor seemed particularily interested in being a community".

Don't let this happen to your group. Build your "community" as you do your
development work. Otherwise, whats the point?

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood
Cedar Village (forming)