Newton Cohousing
From: Jack Needleman (needlemahsph.harvard.edu)
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 12:09:22 -0500
Greetings!

We are a core group of three households (hoping to grow) working to create
cohousing in Newton, Mass.

We want to let you know where we are and what we're doing, announce our
upcoming meetings and  new web site and let you know how to contact us.

NEWTON COHOUSING

We are working to create cohousing in Newton, a suburb 8 miles west of
downtown Boston. We want to create 10-30 1-4 bedroom units for a diverse
community that includes people of different ages, ethniciies, incomes,
sexual orientations, and family composition.

The original group came together around a potential site that ultimately
didn't work.  In the aftermath, families with an interest in cohousing
continued meeting, and from this group a core group has emerged that has
actively sought sites and pushed the process along.

We are working with real estate agents who know Newton to identify sites,
a development consultant who knows cohousing and has worked successfully
in Newton to get "non-standard" projects through the process, and an
architect.

We have identified one potential site that will be coming on the market,
and are pursuing several other sites as well.  We are seeking to expand
the core group and to identify others interested in participating in
cohousing in Newton.

Meetings

We'll be holding 2 meetings over the summer to discuss sites, our efforts
to date, and provide information on the cohousing process:

Dates:  Tues, July 22
        Sun,  Aug   3

Time:   7:30pm - 9:00 pm

Place:  First Unitarian Church
        1326 Washington Street, at Highland, in West Newton

        call Jeff at 617-964-8790 for child care.

Contacting Newton Cohousing

For more information about us:

        Check our web site:  www.world.std.com/~bbe/ncoho/
        Email us:            ncoho [at] world.std.com
        Call:                Barbara or Jack at 617-965-6321
        Write:               Newton Cohousing
                             179 Hunnewell Ave
                             Newton MA 02158

We've gleaned a lot of good advice from the list, and are hoping to be
able to share our experience.

Jack Needleman