Re: Pathway Lighting
From: Deborah Behrens (debbehauto-trol.com)
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 14:30:56 -0500
At Highline:

We have some big, bright parking lot lights in a few areas.
There have been some complaints about their brightness, but
we've only actually had to put one on a timer so that it
would be off late at night, and not shine in a bedroom window.

There are some small (flimsy) low voltage lights near the
pedestrian way, but we actually have to keep them way back
from the walk ways, because if they were in the grass, they'd
have gotten knocked over by the lawn mower.  They'll
be more useful for nodes and paths in between the buildings.

Some people do keep their porch lights on, which is a big
help late at night, and looks cosy too (IMO).  But not every
one does.  If everyone kept their porch lights on, we wouldn't
need near as many of the little pathway lights as we do.
Our utility company recommends porch lights on too, as a
deterent to crime.  I have a timer on my porch light.
They're easy to install.

Since I'm often out after dark (especially in the winter),
for me safety and security take precedence over being able
to see the stars, despite the increased light pollution.

                      ~___~
                      (0 0)
 |  Debbie Behrens                  debbeh [at] auto-trol.com |
 |  Highline Crossing CoHousing          W (303)252-2215 |
 |   1611 W. Canal Ct Littleton CO 80120 Fx(303)252-2249 |
 |  Rocky Mountain Cohousing Assn        H (303)797-7779 |
 |     All opinions expressed are mine, and do not       |
 |         necessarily reflect the opinions of           |
 |        Highline Crossing or RMCA in general.          |