Police calls experience (or lack of) ; Response requested
From: Cohousing-L listmgr (fholsonmtn.org)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 10:37:06 -0500
Mac Thomson ganesh [at] rmi.net  San Juan Cohousing  Durango, Colorado
is the author of the message below but due to a problem it was posted=20
PLEASE REPLY TO MAC
********************  FORWARDED MESSAGE FOLLOWS ***********************

One of our ranch neighbors who is one of the county marshals and who's=20
not too keen on our cohousing community coming in recently stated at one=20
of our hearings that it's a well known fact that people living in tight=20
clusters don't get along with their neighbors and therefore require more=20
police calls.  I tried to assure him that that wasn't the case with=20
cohousing - peaceful resolution of conflicts, etc., but he was=20
skeptical.

"God damn boy, people just aren't meant to live that close together!  It=20
ain't right."

So anyway, again, I think some good hard data will go a lot further than=20
my assurances.  Please let me know if anyone in your community has ever=20
had to call the cops to resolve a neighborhood conflict.

  NOTE:  MAC IS REQUESTING RESPONSE TO HIM (NOT THE LIST).   SINCE THIS
         MESSAGE IS BEING POSTED FOR HIM YOU NEED TO CUT AND PASTE=20
         HIS ADDRESS:    ganesh [at] rmi.net

I can't imagine that there's EVER been an incident of someone in=20
cohousing calling the cops to resolve a conflict with a neighbor so I=B9ve=
=20
taken the liberty to draft a response that you can use:

  XXXXXXX community has been in existence for XX years and in all that=20
  time there's never been an instance of a law enforcement official=20
  getting involved in resolving a conflict within our cohousing=20
  neighborhood.

As always, I'll post the results.
--=20
=09   Mac Thomson                   San Juan Cohousing
=09   ganesh [at] rmi.net                Durango, Colorado

 "Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a=20
rock."
                          - Will Rogers