Re: COHOUSING-L digest 228
From: J Rebecca Reid (jrreideduc.umass.edu)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 20:06:18 -0600 (MDT)
Peggy Blum wanted to hear from Pioneer Valley about path lighting--here
we are.
Our lighting evolved after a major controversy which ended with one
family leaving the group and us deciding on minimal path lighting.  Like
she says--they look like wooden mailboxes. They were designed by someone
in the community and built by us.  They go all the way around the inner
loop and all of them are on a timer.  After the timer is off late at
night, you can turn on one side of the loop or the other by a switch on
the lights.
        They give minimal light, all directed downward.  From a little
distance they lookl like a string of Christmas tree lights. I think most
of us are pretty happpy with them, although there are a couple of people
on either end--they are too dim, or let's not have lights at all.  I
didn't think I would like having lights, myself, but have found them to
be unoffensive and sometimes comforting and friendly looking.  I love the
idea of lighting the walkways with porch lights, but our houses are too
far upoff thepath for the lights to do any good.  We also have sets of
high lights in the parking lots that are on motion sensors.

Rebecca