Re: Police calls
From: Deborah Behrens (debbehauto-trol.com)
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 12:52:07 -0500
> Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 11:46:19 -0500
> From: Mac Thomson <ganesh [at] rmi.net>
> Subject: Police calls
>
> One of our ranch neighbors who is one of the county marshals and who is
> not too keen on our cohousing community coming in recently stated at one
> of our hearings that it is a well known fact that people living in tight
> clusters don1t get along with their neighbors and therefore require more
> police calls.  I tried to assure him that that was not the case with
> cohousing - peaceful resolution of conflicts, etc., but he was
> skeptical.
> So anyway, again, I think some good hard data will go a lot further than
> my assurances.  Please let me know if anyone in your community has ever
> had to call the cops to resolve a neighborhood conflict.

Mac

Sorry I'm late responding to you.

Highline Crossing community in Littleton Colorado has been in existence
for over 2 years.  In all that time there has never been an instance of
a law enforcement official getting involved in resolving a conflict within
our neighborhood.

There have been two occasions, early on where we needed to call
the authorities.  Turns out that the area where we built our
community, being fairly isolated, had been in use for a number of years
for teenagers doing drug deals, etc.  The first time after we moved in
that some teens showed up in the middle of the night in our parking lot
for some drug dealing, we called the cops.  They haven't been back, and
our area is no longer a haven for teenage drug deals.  Getting the
parking areas well lit helped substantially - the teens showed up at
a time before we had installed our parking lot lights.

The other incident was also very early on - some stuff was stolen from
a car in the parking lot.  The car was unlocked. (I'm not sure but
I think this also happened prior to the parking lot lights going in.)
The cuprits may have been the same teens above who used to hang out in
the vacant lot that our community now sits on.

Between parking lot lights, porch lights, and pedestrian lighting, the
community is well lit at night, and there's usually someone about, so
criminals from outside the community would have a hard time robbing anyone.

While we do have some interpersonal conflicts, as does any group of people,
there has been nothing of a serious enough nature to warrant law
enforcement participation.  Within our community we have several
psychologists/mediators/good listeners who can help with any problems
serious enough to require help.

                      ~___~
                      (0 0)
 |  Debbie Behrens                  debbeh [at] auto-trol.com |
 |  Highline Crossing CoHousing          W (303)252-2215 |
 |   1611 W. Canal Ct Littleton CO 80120 Fx(303)252-2249 |
 |  Rocky Mountain Cohousing Assn        H (303)797-7779 |
 |     All opinions expressed are mine, and do not       |
 |         necessarily reflect the opinions of           |
 |        Highline Crossing or RMCA in general.          |