Re: Associate/Satellite Members
From: Denise Meier and/or Michael Jacob (dmmjwco.com)
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 00:44:03 -0500
Dear Patty,

We at Two Acre Wood would be very interested to hear what you come up
with, as we have people who are also interested in possibly buying into
the surrounding neighborhood. We spent a huge amount of time working on
this, and didn't resolve it at all. We DID hear from the lawyer who has
been working on setting up our Homeowner's Association (HOA) that we could
not have members of the HOA who were did not own a home in the
subdivision.  It doesn't seem to be legal to ask for a significant enough
buy-in fee to allow them real ownership of common facilities. There is a
limited percentage of the HOA's income that can come from non association
members. So I recommend definitely checking with your legal consultant.

We did come up with the idea of having them buy something of significant
value, say furniture for the common house, as a "gift". However, we
starting worrying that our common facilities are not really large enough
to accomodate added households. So we tabled the whole thing till we move
in and get a sense of what non-residents would want to share, and how
crowded it all feels.  We left it for the moment at a statement that says
that we would like some way for non-residents to get involved in our
community, in particular in our cooking/dining rotations.

Denise Meier
Two Acre Wood
Sebastopol, CA

 On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, patty m gourley wrote:

> Dear List,
> At Tierra Nueva CoHousing on the Central California coast, we are being
> faced with an opportunity/problem.  Two of our households left the
> project to buy a house  which adjoins our orchard property.  The
> ex-members are hoping to create some sort of associate or Satellite
> membership that will give them official member status in order to  share
> access to our common facilities.   They attend all of the business
> meetings and socials and participate in the committee work as well.  They
> are part of the community in spirit, but not legally or financially.
>
> Do any of you have a similar circumstance?  Any advice on how to set it
> up officially or did you find it necessary ?  If you do have associate
> members, did you decide on a percentage of the common costs as a buy-in
> or membership fee?  Our ex-members think they should only pay a portion
> of the common costs, like the common house costs, but not the roads and
> parking lot costs.  They may want to propose that they pay 1/4 or 1/3 of
> the common costs, as their membership fee.   Some of the regular
> membership thinks it's not enough, some think it's too much.  We are
> groping around for a solution, and would like to hear any suggestions you
> may have to help us reach clarity.
>
> We suspect that this will provide us with an opportunity to set a
> precedence for other associate memberships which may arise in the future,
> so we want to get it right, or at least close.  Are there any hidden
> problems with such a relationship, assuming an agreement is reached about
> the fees?
>
> Thanks,
> Mara

  • Associate/Satellite Members patty m gourley, August 16 1997
    • Re: Associate/Satellite Members Denise Meier and/or Michael Jacob, August 16 1997