Re: Christian Cohousing & Diversity
From: Gorwydd (Gorwyddaol.com)
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 23:09:31 -0500
An interesting debate could be posed here with the potential arrival of this
"Christian Cohousing" group. What is the place of "special interest groups"
within cohousing. Aren't all cohousing establishments to one degree or
another a special interest group?

To everyone I pose thes questions:

*Just how tolerant are YOU yourself? Who would you refuse? Who HAVE you
refused?
*Is the idea of cohousing so pure that it cannot or should not be
interpreted/adapted by others for their own purposes or visions?
*Do we have the right to define what cohousing should or should not be in a
concrete, denotative way?

To maikano [at] idcomm.com (Michael Mariner) I pose these questions:

*If you want to initiate a Christian community, would you permit
non-christians to live there as well?
*What about unwed Christian couples, what about Homosexual Christians...
would you allow them to share your intimate spaces?

I would be very interested in discussing with you what your view of cohousing
is, and find out what methods you will use to determine who can and who
cannot buy into your vision.

Is cohousing really the correct word for what you are looking for, or do you
envision more of a "Planned Community" concept. We need to iron out the terms
and their differences if we are to help you find what you are looking for.

To everyone else I also ask... let's not start any bar brawls, but start an
open debate on the subject (I'm sorry if I missed any similair debates
earlier, but I've only been a member for a short while.) Who are we to say
that such a community wouldn't work. Should we not trust other members on
this list to be looking for better ways of life just as you are?

What's your opinion or experience on the subject?