What is cohousing?
From: Rebbry (Rebbryaol.com)
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 15:12:51 -0500
Oops, the first message got off prematurely:

If we look at the origins of cohousing in Denmark, they were social:  dual
income families trying to figure out how in the hell they were going to care
for their children and get dinner on the table at the same time.  Because
McCamant and Durrett were architects and not sociologists or economists or
whatever, their books emphasized the architecture of cohousing, flavoring our
view of it for the last decade.  So I agree with Scott Cowley that the social
aspect is the dominating characteristic, because cohousing is essentially an
attempt to reestablish the extended family or village to accomodate the
diverse, changing and stressful lives of today's families, seniors and single
adults. To me, cohousing is a social model for healthy, safe neighborhoods.
 The architecture of cohousing is the means of achieving this end but that
makes it no less a defining characteristic. Thus (building on both Scott and
Allen's descriptors), I would define cohousing as a social model for healthy,
safe neighborhoods physically described by clustered housing around a
pedestrian court yard or walk way and a common house and other facilities,
providing collective services.   Additionally, cohousing usually has these
additional themes:
*  participatory decision making (althought the developer model threatens
this)
*  an ecological design component, and
*  resident management.

Rebecca Bryant, Ozark CoHousing