CHRISTIAN COHOUSING III
From: Al Morel (vemsponsor.ultranet.com)
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 12:33:37 -0500
CHRISTIAN COHOUSING ISSUES
It seems that I've ignited a small firestorm wrt the Christian cohousing
issue.  Although I am new to the list, I have done some research and asked
the question on Christian cohousing only when I found no information on the
subject anywhere. There seems to be lots of information on Christian
intentional communities, but nothing on Christian cohousing, specifically.
The reason, it appears, is that  Christian cohousing is nonexistent  or
underground.  You may be interested to know that there are many, many
Christian neighborhoods throughout the country. Informal cohousing if you
will.

WE SHARE YOUR CONCERNS
Thanks to those who expressed encouragement or, at least, tolerance to our
ideas.  Let me share that we too share your concerns about economic and
social diversity, religious and racial bigotry, cults, and isolationism.
We're trying to deal with all these issues and others that are specific to
our beliefs.

COHOUSING IN PERSPECTIVE
Cohousing, in this country and even in Denmark, is a relatively new
concept.  I share your enthusiasm wrt cohousing but I wonder in 50-100
years if the cohousing communities that are being built now will be
thriving or be condos.  MacCamant and Durrett 's book, which so many cite
chapter and verse, is a wonderful resource and source of inspiration.
However, it is a commercial for cohousing and not an entirely objective
view.  Forgive my heresy, but cohousing has not yet withstood the test of
time.  Over time, as the concept matures, there will be more information
available on the downside of cohousing just as there is on the demise of
many other types of intentional communities.  Let's go forward with open
minds AND open eyes.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT
We can choose to learn from the past successes and failures of other types
of intentional communities. One of the things that successful intentional
communities all have working for them is something that has been termed: "a
common belief system or philosophy."  Many times this takes the form of a
common religious bond.  We can learn from the successes and focus on living
communities that have expressed commonalities like Christianity, solar
energy enthusiasts, home schoolers, vegetarians, etc. It may be more
difficult to "market," but the long-term success will be greater. Of
course, you could just market it to the double-income, white, middle class,
liberal, college educated, baby boomer, suburbanite, agnostic, politically
correct, import-beer drinking, sports utility vehicle driving, computer
literate, Sunday New York Times reading, types. ;)

I WOULDN'T WANT TO BELONG TO A (GOLF) CLUB THAT WOULD HAVE ME AS A MEMBER
In general, I do not feel offended by opposition to my point of view. As I
shared with you, we are wrestling with many of the same issues. I am,
however, wounded by the inference that I would join a golf club. That
hurts! ;)

Al Morel
Christian Cohousing Wanabee

Pet peeve 1: People who don't keep their pet peeves to themselves.
Pet peeve 2: People who break their own pet peeve rules. Oooppps!

Al Morel
Grassroots Sports Marketing
phone   508-897-4646
fax     508-897-2585