Re: CHRISTIAN COHOUSING III
From: Catherine Harper (tylikeskimo.com)
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 14:55:39 -0500
On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, Denise Meier and/or Michael Jacob wrote:

> I'm curious about what this means! A neighborhood where many or most of
> the homeowners are Christians and those neighbors get together often? Or
> a neighborhood where it is difficult for a non-Christian to buy in? (I
> must admit, the thought of this raises my Jewish hackles).

I don't know about difficult to buy in...  but I've certainly seen
neighborhood where churches act as community centers -- if most of the
families live around the church, and the church has the physical space to
accomodate lots of social interaction...  (I believe there's a fair bit of
this going on with some of the churches local to us, though not being a
church member, I can really only speculate.  There seems to be a lot of
dinners, dances, and other activities throughout the week.)

In a funny sort of way, I often find myself envying those communities.
The religion's not for me, and I rather get the impression that there is a
greater demand on conformity than I'd be able to deal with anyway...  but
there is also something very appealing about that kind of commonality.
(Which, to come a it from the other side, is maybe some of what attracted
me to cohousing in the first place.)

                                Catherine