Re: Definition
From: Robert Schrader (rmscrash.cts.com)
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 19:17:06 -0500
There has been a lot of chatter on the list about what cohousing is
or is not, and I was dismayed by the lack of consensus.

So I looked in my copy of the 94 edition. ( Each of us has one, right? )
I couldn't find an explicit definition.  The closest I could find was
the following from page 38:  { Boldface is represented in caps }

COMMON CHARACTERISTICS
Cohousing developments vary in size, location , type of
ownership, design, and priorities.  Yet in our research
we were able to identify four common characteristics:

 PARTICIPATORY PROCESS:
 Residents organize and participate in the planning and
 design process for the housing development, and are
 responsible as a group for all final decisions.

 INTENTIONAL NEIGHBORHOOD DESIGN:
 The physical design encourages a strong sense of
 community.

 EXTENSIVE COMMON FACILITIES:
 An integral part of the community, common areas are
 designed for daily use, to supplement private living
 areas.

 COMPLETE RESIDENT MANAGEMENT:
 Residents manage the development, making decisions of
 common concern at community meetings.

There is more, seven pages worth, mostly elaboration of those 4 points; but my
carpal tunnel does not permit transcribing that here.  If someone with a scanner
would be good enough to scan and post it, I think that would help clarify
matters.

Robert

Ps: Nowhere in those seven pages did I see a mention of religion or veggies,
pro or con.  My off-the-cuff opinion is that veggies are ok but christianity
doesn't pass the resident management clause. ;)

It is no sign of mental health to be well adjusted to
a sick society. - Krishnamurti

Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have
governed my life: the longing for love, the search for
knowledge, and unbearable lust for chocolate.
                    - Autobiography of Bertrand Russell

  • Definition OldSol, September 2 1995
    • Re: Definition Robert Schrader, September 8 1997