Re: CHRISTIAN COHOUSING III
From: Al Morel (vemsponsor.ultranet.com)
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 09:11:54 -0500
Dear Denise,

The Christian neighborhoods that I previously wrote about seem to come in a
couple of different varieties. 1) A subdivision is bought by a group of
friends who probably attend church together 2) A neighborhood is populated
by Christians after the fact. There seems to be many of these across the
country but there are no common facilities and there is no exclusion of
others that want to live there.

As chance would have it my sister-in-law recently bought a new home in a
suburb of Washington, D.C. and found herself right in the middle of a
Christian neighborhood. The neighbors meet serveral times a month for
prayer breakfasts and pot luck dinners. She and her husband are not
Christians but are enjoying their new neighborhood.

Al Morel

>On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, Al Morel wrote:
>
>> CHRISTIAN COHOUSING ISSUES
>> underground.  You may be interested to know that there are many, many
>> Christian neighborhoods throughout the country. Informal cohousing if you
>> will.
>
>I'm curious about what this means! A neighborhood where many or most of
>the homeowners are Christians and those neighbors get together often? Or
>a neighborhood where it is difficult for a non-Christian to buy in? (I
>must admit, the thought of this raises my Jewish hackles).
>
>On a related note, many of us have been concerned about being accused of
>discrimination when selecting our members with regard to diversity or
>other demographic goals (in our case, the pursuit of families with small
>children)
>
>It seems to me that the most commonly used cohousing model (individual
>home ownership) would make Christian Cohousing (or any other "flavor" of
>cohousing) quite difficult to pull together without violating fair housing
>laws.
>
>Denise Meier
>Two Acre Wood,
>Sebastopol, California