report on one Christian "cohousing" community?
From: ruddick (ruddickmv3195.edison.cc.oh.us)
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 17:04:46 -0500
My first post to this list--

About 9 years ago, I played in a band that was hired to perform at
"Lakeside", a Methodist community on the Lake Erie shore in N. Ohio.

This community seems to fit the definition of cohousing as posted to
the list.  Residents occupied closely-spaced single-family homes,
but they share a community recreation center, auditorium, lakefront
facilities, and some services.  I believe there is a representative-
type resident management.  I think this community existed prior to
the invention of "cohousing" as a term for the concept--but it fits
the description.

This concludes the news portion of our broadcast.  Now the editorial.

I was appalled by the restrictive nature of this community.  I tend
to like most Methodists that I meet, but this community seemed to
have more in common with narrow-minded fundamentalists.  Community
rules included dress codes, prohibitions against private consumption
of alcoholic beverages, curfews, and other invasions into personal
privacy.  The community was walled and gated.

I don't think it's an absolute, but I would expect more often than
not that any community founded on belief systems that include
mandatory agreement with a certain creed, restrictions of free
thought, and regimentation of personal action would then tend to
become more and more authoritarian in nature.

In essence, I fear that any state-sponsored religion turns into
a totalitarian structure.  The best defense of your own religion
just might be a high degree of tolerance and accomodation for
others.

TR